Whitehall in Muskegon County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
White Lake Yacht CLub
By 1897 most of White Lake’s bustling sawmills had given way to cottages and small hotels. Promoters advertised the area’s cool temperatures as relief from the summer heat of cities and drew thousands of people to the area, many from Chicago. During the winter of 1902-3 the White Lake Yacht Club formed. The club hired Chicago architect Robert Rae, Jr. to design the clubhouse, which opened in 1906 with a large ballroom and bays for boats.
By 1922 summer tourists were traveling more by car than by boat, and golf surpassed sailing in popularity. The White Lake Yacht Club fell into disrepair. In 1925 Henry Sturtevant saved the building, mostly with his own funds, and Clarence Pitkin brought national power boat races to White Lake. Interest revived and the club reopened, offering a sailing school, boat races, swimming lessons, and social events to members and their families.
Erected 2006 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2184.)
Location. 43° 21.782′ N, 86° 24.453′ W. Marker is in Whitehall, Michigan, in Muskegon County. Marker is on South Shore Drive 0.3 miles east of North Scenic Drive, on the left Touch for map. Marker is located beside the White Lake Yacht Club main entrance gate. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6748 South Shore Drive, Whitehall MI 49461, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lumbering on White Lake / Staples and Covell Mill (approx. 4˝ miles away); Jean Baptiste Recollect Trading Post (approx. 9.9 miles away); Muskegon Fishing Reef (approx. 10.2 miles away); Bluffton Actors' Colony / Buster Keaton (approx. 10.7 miles away); Union Depot (approx. 11.7 miles away); Buster Keaton (approx. 11.8 miles away); Lakeside (approx. 11.8 miles away); Hume House (approx. 11.9 miles away).
Also see . . . White Lake Yacht CLub History. (This link also presents many interesting historic photos.) Possible locations for the new club included Long Point, Birch Brook, and two sites at Sylvan, this divided the group and George Mason came to the rescue by offering the present site. Starting in October 1905 Fred McGuire spent countless hours organizing the committees to raise funds and decide on the site for the Club. May 28, 1906 saw a lease finally signed with George Mason for 69 years at a $1.00 per year. With an option to purchase for $1000.00 during (Submitted on July 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.