Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pacific Palisades in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Santa Monica Forestry Station

 
 
Santa Monica Forestry Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, July 7, 2018
1. Santa Monica Forestry Station Marker
Inscription. In 1887, the State Board of Forestry established the nation's first experimental forestry station. Located in Rustic Canyon, the station tested exotic trees for planting in California, established plantations for management studies, and produced planting stock for scientific and conservation purposes. The station was operated by the Board of Forestry until 1893 and by the University of California until 1923.
 
Erected 1971 by California Parks, the California Division Of Forestry, and the City & County of Los Angeles. (Marker Number 840.)
 
Location. 34° 2.214′ N, 118° 30.907′ W. Marker is in Pacific Palisades, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is at the intersection of Latimer Road and Hilltree Road, on the left when traveling north on Latimer Road. Touch for map. Located south of the Rustic Canyon Recreation Center building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 574 Latimer Road, Pacific Palisades CA 90272, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Port Los Angeles (approx. 0.8 miles away); George Washington (approx. one mile away); Olympiad Rose Bush (approx. one mile away);
Santa Monica Forestry Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, July 7, 2018
2. Santa Monica Forestry Station Marker
Will Rogers Highway (approx. 1.9 miles away); Rapp's Saloon (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Santa Monica Pier Carousel (approx. 2.1 miles away); Santa Monica Pier (approx. 2.1 miles away); “The Ink Well” (approx. 2.6 miles away).
 
Regarding Santa Monica Forestry Station. In the 1920ís this land was purchased by Harry Haldeman, grandfather of Watergate conspirator H.R. Haldeman, for use by members of the exclusive menís club, the Los Angeles Athletic Club. Calling their group the Uplifters, the name referred to both the uplifting of the arts and the hoisting of cocktails. Their clubhouse, designed by architect William Dodd, was dedicated in 1923. Members leased lots nearby for $100, and some built cabins. After the Depression, movie stars moved in and built larger homes. In 1953 the clubhouse, along with the nearby eucalyptus grove, was donated to Los Angeles and is now the Rustic Canyon Recreation Center.
 
Categories. Horticulture & ForestryParks & Recreational Areas
 
Latimer Road, Looking North image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, July 7, 2018
3. Latimer Road, Looking North
Rustic Canyon Recreation Center image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, July 7, 2018
4. Rustic Canyon Recreation Center
Nearby Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, July 7, 2018
5. Nearby Marker
Uplifters Clubhouse, built 1923. Architect William J. Dodd. Los Angeles historic landmark #663.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 8, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement