Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Pleasant in Titus County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Titus County C.S.A.

 
 
Titus County <small>C.S.A.</small> Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
1. Titus County C.S.A. Marker
Inscription. Created and organized in 1846. Named for pioneer resident Andrew Jackson Titus (1814-1855), who opened county's first road, to river port in Jefferson.

Until after the Civil War, Titus County also included areas of present-day Franklin and Morris counties. Six mail routes going by horseback, had pack mules to follow lead horse. High waters in creeks and Sulphur River often halted travel. Record time to haul cotton to Jefferson was 5 days by ox wagon.

In 1860 had 9,648 people. Voted 411 to 275 in favor of secession. Sent 10 military companies to Civil War. While home tables drew heavily on game foods (deer, wild turkeys, pigeons, bear), county furnished Confederate commissary with beef, butter, corn, rice, cotton, oats, sweet potatoes, flour, cornmeal, leather, lumber, pottery, tobacco, whiskey and wool. Wartime manufacturing plants included 9 sawmills, 8 gristmills, tanneries and a steam powered distillery.

Mount Pleasant had a Confederate transportation depot employing blacksmiths, carpenters, harness makers, wheelwrights. It procured equipment and horses and mules, and made gear, harness and wagons for the purpose of moving men, army supplies and government owned cotton.
 
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11185.)
 
Location.
Titus County <small>C.S.A.</small> Marker at the Courthouse. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
2. Titus County C.S.A. Marker at the Courthouse.
33° 9.438′ N, 94° 58.152′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, Texas, in Titus County. Marker is at the intersection of West 2nd Street and North Madison Street (Business U.S. 271), on the left when traveling west on West 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West 1st Street, Mount Pleasant TX 75455, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Titus County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Mt. Pleasant (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry Clay Thruston (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dellwood Park (approx. one mile away); Caddo Indian Communities in the Cypress Creek Drainage (approx. 7.1 miles away); Snow Hill Baptist Church (approx. 10.2 miles away); Snow Hill Cemetery (approx. 10.2 miles away); Ripley Massacre (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
 
Also see . . .
1. Photos showing the many changes to this courthouse. (Submitted on July 11, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Texas State Historical Association article on Titus County. (Submitted on July 11, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWar, US CivilWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement