Muncy Normal School
Muncy Normal and High School, erected in 1873, was an architectural masterpiece of its day! In its early catalogues it was described as "centrally located, and commands a magnificent view of the entire valley. The Susquehanna Water Gap, six miles below, and the North Mountain, twenty miles in the opposite direction, can be distinctly seen from its upper windows."
The curriculum of the school included: 1) teachers and normal; 2) college preparatory; and 3) business.
In 1908, the school needed more space so they acquired the former Lycoming Mutual Fire Insurance building on South Main Street, directly in front of the Normal School. The "Executive Building" offered additional classrooms, offices and a reading room.
Many of Muncy's homes operated as boarding places for out-of-town residents and were described in the school's catalogue as "good boarding and well-furnished rooms in pleasant homes in quiet parts of the town, at reasonable rates..." In 1911, rates were $3.50 per seven-day week; $2.50 to $3 per five-day-week.
About 1922, when the Muncy Normal School became a branch of the Mansfield State College, its function became
The building continued in use as a grade and high school until 1932 when Muncy built its native stone school house on West Penn Street.
Hoffman Seed and Grain
In 1938 the Normal School was razed to make way for Hoffman Seed and Grain Company. By processing corn and grain and selling across the East Coast, the mill remained in business until the latter part of the 20th Century.
The Hoffman Seed and Grain Co. had several storage facilities for collecting and processing seed corn that was shipped all over the northeast. When the plant was razed, the McCarty Apartments were built on the vacant lot.
(570) 308-3003 Stop #107
Erected by Muncy Historical Society and Museum of History, PA DCNR, Susquehanna Greenway, et al.
Location. 41° 12.245′ N, 76° 47.259′ W. Marker is in Muncy, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is on Market Street north of High Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25 South Market Street, Muncy PA 17756, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Muncy Woolen Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Main and Water Streets (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The McCartys and the Muncy Historical Society (approx. ¼ mile away); Muncy (approx. ¼ mile away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Walton Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Muncy (approx. ¾ mile away); Capt. John Brady (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Muncy.
Regarding Muncy Normal School. The Lycoming County Normal School was organized at Montoursville in the spring of 1870 under the leadership of T. G. Gahn, Esq., ex-county superintendent, and W. R. Bierly, Esq. The number of students at first was small and its influence confined within narrow limits. Each year, however, there was an increase in the attendance, and in 1877 the school had grown so large that it was removed to Muncy, where the handsome and commodious building which had just been erected offered the necessary facilities. Before the establishment of this school the teachers of the county had no acquaintance with the theory of teaching, or school government, and the advancement that was made was slow and unsatisfactory. Teachers labored vigorously for the advancement of those under their care, but no adequate returns rewarded their toil. The Normal teaching presented new methods and theories, which were carried into the work of teaching, and the progress that was made was gratifying to all friends of popular education. During the period that the school has now been here it has continually advanced in numbers and influence. The course of study has been enlarged, and now includes, besides the regular teachers' course, a college preparatory course, which prepares pupils for admission to the leading institutions. Since its inception the school has been in charge of the following principals: Ex-County Superintendent C. S. Riddell; Superintendent Charles Lose, A. M.; Emerson Collins, Esq.; W. R. Peoples, Esq., and J. George Becht, B. S. The catalogue for 1892 shows an enrollment of 231 students, the largest in the history of the institution. Two free scholarships are offered to the pupils of the public schools passing the best examination for common school diplomas.
From History of Lycoming County Pennsylvania (Meginness, 1892)
Also see . . .
1. Muncy Normal School Postcards on Youtube. (Submitted on July 31, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Muncy Normal School Reunion Clipping (1950). (Submitted on July 31, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Education • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Muncy Normal School.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.