Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
of this stone, was the landing place of
the most historic crossing place on the
Susquehanna. A great part of the early
migration into Western Pennsylvania and
the Ohio Valley passed this way.
The Ferry-right was first granted to
John Harris, father of the founder
of Harrisburg, in December, 1733. For
over half a century the site of
Harrisburg was known as
The Pennsylvania Historical Commission
September 24, 1915.
Erected 1915 by The Pennsylvania Historical Commission.
Location. 40° 15.358′ N, 76° 52.695′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on South Front Street south of Washington Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located on the north side of Riverfront Park, facing South Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Harris Sr. Grave Site John Harris/Simon Cameron Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Harrisburg's Grand Review of Black Troops (within shouting distance of this marker); Brigadier General Joseph F. Knipe House (within shouting distance of this marker); John Harris Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); John Harris, Sr., and the Mulberry Tree (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Native Nations of the Susquehanna Valley (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Native Nations of the Susquehanna Valley (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
More about this marker. Marker is a large metal plaque, in Pennsylvania's "keystone" shape, mounted on a large boulder.
Also see . . .
1. History of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. In 1719, John Harris, Sr., an English trader, settled here and 14 years later secured grants of 800 acres in this vicinity. That same year, 1733, Harris was granted a license to operate a ferry, and the place was long afterwards known as Harris's Ferry. In 1785, John Harris, Jr., made plans to lay out a town on his (Submitted on August 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Harris' Ferry, Pennsylvania. John Harris (1673-1748), a native of Yorkshire, England, arrived in Philadelphia as one of the first emigrants to accompany William Penn. In approximately 1719, Harris moved with his wife Esther from Chester County to Lancaster County. They then eventually built a log cabin on the banks of the Susquehanna, near the present juncture of Paxton and Front streets. Harris, Sr. established the first ferry across the Susquehanna, which in time became so popular that that place was no longer called by its Indian name of Peixtan, but Harris' Ferry. (Submitted on August 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Harris' Ferry.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.