Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Headquarters
Major General Joseph Wheeler, C.S.A.
Commanding Cavalry Corps
(Marker Number MT-56.)
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 2.944′ N, 85° 18.002′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker was on Douglas Street south of East 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This tablet was located on what is currently the expanded campus of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Marker was at or near this postal address: 515 Douglas Street, Chattanooga TN 37403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. To the Memory of Our Confederate Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Point in the Line of Fort Sherman (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (approx. ¼ mile away); A Point in the Line of Works (approx. ¼ mile away); Headquarters of Brigadier General George D. Wagner (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Bragg's Headquarters (approx. 0.3 miles away); Walden Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information
Regarding Site of Headquarters. With much help from Raney Suzette of the Local History and Genealogy Department of the Chattanooga Public Library, I have been able to put together some background information on these bronze and/or iron, Civil War related, tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga.
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker. A list of the tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga, in the mid-1890s, that identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 27, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.