Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Lunette O'Meara
Of Lunette O'Meara
Center of Line
Of Fort Sherman
2 Siege - 6 Field Guns
(Marker Number MT-40.)
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 3.041′ N, 85° 18.214′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker was at the intersection of East 5th Street and Lindsay Street, on the right when traveling east on East 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Point in the Line of Fort Sherman (a few steps from this marker); Headquarters of Brigadier General George D. Wagner (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Bragg's Headquarters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chattanooga's First School (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Point in the Line of Fort Sherman (approx. 0.2 miles away); Swaim's Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Military History of Chattanooga (approx. ¼ mile away); Abby Crawford Milton (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service,
Regarding Site of Lunette O'Meara. With much help from Raney Suzette of the Local History and Genealogy Department of the Chattanooga Public Library, I have been able to put together some background information on these bronze and/or iron, Civil War related, tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga.
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Related markers. Click here for list of markers that are related to this marker. A list of the tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga, in the mid-1890s, that identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on August 28, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.