Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Abingdon in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Captain John Smith

 
 
Captain John Smith Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, June 21, 2007
1. Captain John Smith Marker
Inscription. Captain John Smith in 1608 ascended this river to this point. On his map he called it after his home in England “Willowbyes Flu” or river. Now Bush River.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
 
Location. 39° 26.988′ N, 76° 16.737′ W. Marker is near Abingdon, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is on Pulaski Highway (U.S. 40) one mile south of Abingdon Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abingdon MD 21009, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of “Old Baltimore” (here, next to this marker); Old Post Road: Cokesbury College (approx. 0.8 miles away); Gov. William Paca (approx. 0.9 miles away); Harford Town, or Bush (approx. 1.6 miles away); “The Bush Declaration” (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abingdon.
 
Also see . . .  John Smith’s Map of Virginia. Map drawn by John Smith shows Bush River. (Submitted on June 22, 2007.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable EventsNotable PersonsWaterways & Vessels
 
Bush River image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, June 21, 2007
2. Bush River
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,200 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement