New Madrid in New Madrid County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First American town in Missouri. Founded in 1789 by George Morgan, Princeton graduate and Indian trader, on the site of Francois and Joseph Le Sieur's trading settlement, L'Anse a laGraise (Fr. Cove of Fat). Flood and caving banks have destroyed the first town site.
Named for Madrid, Spain, the town was to be an American colony. Morgan was promised 15 million acres by the Spanish ambassador, eager to check U.S. expansion with large land grants. Spain did not confirm his grant but gave land to colonists. Morgan left but he had started American immigration to Missouri.
French and American settlers contributed to the town growth. Here were founded a Catholic church, 1789; a Methodist church, 1810; and here was the southern extent of El Camino Real or King's Highway, 1789. There are over 160 Indian mounts in the county, two are near town.
"Boot Heel" counties, including a strip of New Madrid, are said to be part of Missouri through efforts of J.H. Walker (1794-1860), planter at Little Prairie (Caruthersville), Pemiscot Co. In nearby Mississippi Co. is Big Oak Tree State Park, a notable hardwood forest.
(Reverse):The New Madrid Earthquake, made up of a series of monstrous and lesser shocks, which began Dec. 16, 1811, and continued over a year, centered here. One of the great earthquakes
In 1862 Union forces captured New Madrid and by means of a "canal" sawed through a submerged forest to a bayou, gained control of Island No. 10 and command of the river. Nearby in Mississippi Co. is Belmont battlefield, scene of an 1861 engagement in which both Federal forces under Grant and Confederates under Pillow claimed victory.
New Madrid, seat of government of one of 5 Spanish districts, later one of Missouri's first 5 counties, serves a farming community. Cotton and soybean crops predominate. Rich land has been reclaimed by the Little River and St. Johns Levee drainage systems.
Erected 1953 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 36° 35.015′ N, 89° 31.611′ W. Marker is in New Madrid, Missouri, in New Madrid County. Marker Touch for map. Located on a boardwalk along a levee overlooking the Mississippi River. Marker is in this post office area: New Madrid MO 63869, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bissell's Submergible Saw (a few steps from this marker); Fort Bankhead (a few steps from this marker); New Madrid & Island No. Ten (within shouting distance of this marker); Higgerson School (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Siege of New Madrid (approx. 1.6 miles away); Capture of Island No. 10 (approx. 10.1 miles away in Tennessee); Confederate Forts & Batteries (approx. 10.1 miles away in Tennessee); Confederate Burials (approx. 10.7 miles away in Tennessee). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Madrid.
Also see . . .
1. New Madrid. The locality features several historic homes and sites. (Submitted on October 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. The Great New Madrid Earthquake. In a first hand account of the Earthquake, offered here, from Eliza Bryan, the effects of the first shock are described:
On the 16th of December, 1811, about two o'clock, A.M., we were visited by a violent shock of an earthquake, accompanied by a very awful noise (Submitted on October 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. The Mississippi Valley-"Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On". USGS page detailing efforts to raise awareness of the earthquake zone. (Submitted on October 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
4. New Madrid and Island Number 10. New Madrid sits on a horseshoe bend of the Mississippi, making it a strategic point controlling river transportation. Island Number 10, upstream at the other end of the bend, was much like a "cork" blocking Federal advances downriver. (Submitted on October 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
5. Marker Dedication. An account of the marker's dedication ceremony from 1954. (Submitted on October 11, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Disasters • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,988 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5, 6. submitted on May 31, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 7. submitted on October 11, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.