Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Halfmoon in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Vandenburgh Dunsbach Ferry

 
 
Vandenbergh Dunsbach Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, January 8, 2019
1. Vandenbergh Dunsbach Ferry Marker
Inscription. Early settlers found well-defined trails between old Indian villages and river fording places. These trails became early roads. Cornelius Claes Vandenburgh established a rope ferry at this site before 1705 connecting an Indian trail that crossed the Mohawk River and headed north to Round Lake or east through Halfmoon to the Hudson River. Henry Knox crossed on the ice at this site in early January 1776 on his trip to Boston carrying 59 cannon captured from Fort Ticonderoga. Vandenburgh's 1718 stone house was a landmark until it was destroyed when the water level in the river was raised with the creation of the Barge Canal in 1917 Henry Dunsbach of Rensselaer County purchased the ferry and house in 1813. The Dunsbachs also operated a hotel at the site which they sold with the ferry in 1873. The Emerich family owned and operated the ferry when it was discontinued after the state of NY purchased it for the Barge Canal in 1910. Between 1898 and 1900 a toll bridge replaced the ferry at this location. The winter ice destroved it, however, and the ferry was re-established.

Bottom Inset: In the days before bridges spanned the river, ferries performed a critical service. Neighboring ferries included Forts’ Ferry and Vischer's Ferry to the west. A rope or cable strung across the river would guide the ferry scow, and a toll was charged for the service. During winter months it was possible to cross on the ice.
 
Erected by New York Scenic Byways Program.
 
Location. 42° 47.811′ N, 73° 45.622′ W. Marker is in Halfmoon, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on Towpath Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. In a small turn out near intersection of Towpath Road and Clamsteam Rd. Marker is in this post office area: Clifton Park NY 12065, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Van Den Bergh (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clutes Dry Dock (approx. 0.9 miles away); Boght Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Boght (approx. 1.4 miles away); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cast Iron Whipple Truss Bridge, 1869 (approx. 1.8 miles away); Whipple Iron Truss Bridge (approx. 1.8 miles away); Erie Canal (approx. 1.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Colonial EraWar, US RevolutionaryWaterways & Vessels

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on January 8, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.