Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Marbury in Chilton County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Memorial Tree

Planted February 12, 1928

 
 
Memorial Tree Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 26, 2019
1. Memorial Tree Marker
Inscription.  Two cedar trees were planted and dedicated at the Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home on February 12, 1928 in memory of Mrs. Sarah H. Bellinger and 1st Lt. Robert C. Norris.

Mrs. Bellinger and her husband, Dr. Carnot Bellinger, established the first hospital for Confederate soldiers in Montgomery, Alabama, in June 1861.

Lt. Norris served with distinction as Sergeant Major of the 15th Alabama Infantry and later as First Lieutenant in the 60th Alabama Infantry. Norris moved to Brazil after the war. Several years after his death, his widow, Mrs. Martha S. Norris, requested a tree be planted at the Confederate Soldiers' Home in his memory.

According to Soldiers' Home Commandant Dr. J. T. Fowler, the cedar planted at the southeast corner of the administration building was in memory of Mrs. Bellinger. The cedar planted at the northeast corner of the administration building was in memory of Lt. Norris.

A large gathering attended the ceremony, co-chaired by UDC Soldiers' Home committee chairman Mrs. J.H. Crenshaw and UCV Army of Tennessee commander A.T. Goodwyn (former Adjutant 58th Alabama Infantry). The trees
Memorial Tree marker between trees. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 26, 2019
2. Memorial Tree marker between trees.
Which of the two trees is the original tree is unknown.
were accepted by UDC Alabama Division President Mrs. R.B Broyles and by Bibb Graves, Governor of the State of Alabama.

The fate of the cedar planted in memory of Lt. Norris is unknown. Meanwhile, a second cedar grew near the one planted in memory of Mrs. Bellinger. Experts have been unable to determine which is the original cedar.
 
Erected by Confederate Memorial Park.
 
Location. 32° 43.216′ N, 86° 28.409′ W. Marker is near Marbury, Alabama, in Chilton County. Marker is on County Road 63 0.7 miles north of State Route 143, on the left when traveling north. Located within Confederate Memorial Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 437 Co Rd 63, Marbury AL 36051, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memorial Hall (a few steps from this marker); Monument to Jefferson Manly Falkner (a few steps from this marker); Memorial Hall Flagpole (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marbury Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); Steam Locomotive Bell (about 400 feet away); Woven Wire Fence (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Woven Wire Fence (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marbury.
 
Categories.
Entrance gate to the Confederate Memorial Park. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 26, 2019
3. Entrance gate to the Confederate Memorial Park.
Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 

More. Search the internet for Memorial Tree.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 1, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement