Near Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Mason's farm was modestly successful. He cultivated orchards, raised corn, wheat and livestock.
The hosue was the hub of Leesburg social activity and welcomed many distinguished guests. On August 9, 1825, President John Quincy Adams, former President James Monroe and the Marquis de Lafayette came to Temple Hall for the baptism of Mason's two youngest daughters.
In 1857, Mason retired to Washington, D.C., and sold his farm to Henry A. Ball. With the outbreak of the Civil War, the Ball family found themselves living on the front line between two hostile nations. Two of Henry Ball's sons left the farm to join the Confederate Army. In 1862, Henry Ball was arrested for refusing to take an oath of allegiance to the Federal Government. He was released after spending nearly a year in the Old Capitol Prison.
Temple Hall remained in the Ball family until 1878 when it was sold at auction. In 1940, after a succession of owners, the property was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. James H. Symington. The Symingtons set about restoring the house and making improvements to the farm.
In 1985, Temple Hall Farm was acquired by the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority in order to preserve the land and give future generations the opportunity to appreciate the experience of an American working farm.
Erected by Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Location. 39° 10.741′ N, 77° 31.71′ W. Marker is near Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is on Temple Hall Lane 0.1 miles north of Limestone School Road (County Route 661), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in the Temple Hall Farm Regional Park. Marker is in this post office area: Leesburg VA 20176, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Creation of Temple Hall Farm Regional Park (here, next to this marker); Temple Hall Farm Regional Park's Role in Preserving 1862 Antietam Campaign (approx. 1.7 miles away in Maryland); White’s Ferry (approx. 1.7 miles away in Maryland); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 1.7 miles away in Maryland); a different marker also named White’s Ferry (approx. 1.8 miles away in Maryland); Chesapeake & Ohio Canal (approx. 1.8 miles away in Maryland); Potomac Crossings (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
More about this marker. On the left side of the marker are portraits of William Temple Thomson Mason and Ann Eliza Carroll Mason.
Also see . . .
1. Temple Hall Registration. (PDF) Temple Hall National Register documentation. (Submitted on October 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Temple Hall Farm Park. Official web site detailing the farm park. The farm includes many family oriented exhibits and activities. (Submitted on October 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,495 times since then and 148 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.