Berkeley Springs in Morgan County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Berkeley Springs / James Rumsey
Washington first came here, 1748. Fairfax gave the springs to the public. Established as town, 1776. Virginia treated her sick soldiers here. Gen. Washington, Gen Buchanan, Gen. Gates, Charles Carroll and others bought lots 1777.
Here, 1782-1785, lived James Rumsey, miller, innkeeper, and inventor of the steamboat. He demonstrated a model of his boat before Washington, 1784. He continued his experiments here and elsewhere until his public demonstration of 1787.
Location. 39° 37.609′ N, 78° 13.656′ W. Marker is in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Fairfax Street and U.S. 522, in the median on Fairfax Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Berkeley Springs WV 25411, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morgan County Veteran's Monument (a few steps from this marker); Battle for Bath (a few steps from this marker); Campaign in the Snow (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sons and Daughters of Morgan County (within shouting distance of this marker); Centennial Time Capsule Lot owned by George Washington (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington Heritage Trail (about 400 feet away); Berkeley Springs Baths (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley Springs.
Also see . . .
1. James Rumsey. (Submitted on October 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. Berkeley Springs History. (Submitted on October 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Natural Features • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,226 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.