Tybee Island in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Screven Bakery
Built c. 1925, the post bakery served the military reservation and residents on Tybee Island until 1945. The building was purchased by Dr. Sidney Paul Smith, III on June 23, 2000, and rehabilation was completed December 1, 2001. The restoration of this building is dedicated to the men and women who have served our country so valiantly.
The bakery is the first home in Georgia to be equipped with a solar energy system that is tied directly to the power grid. The meter for the home has duel readouts that monitor the amout of power that is sold back to the electric provider.
Owner: Dr. and Mrs. Sidney Paul Smith, III and Family
General Contractor: Grandy Thurman
[List of Sub-contractors names and Historians]
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tybee Island GA 31328, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henry Sims Morgan (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tybee Island (about 700 feet away); Tybee Lighthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Screven (approx. 0.2 miles away); Federal Batteries on Tybee Island (approx. 1½ miles away); A Turning Point In History (approx. 1½ miles away); Long Range Artillery Duel (approx. 1½ miles away); Cockspur Island Lighthouse (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tybee Island.
Regarding Fort Screven Bakery. In 1947 the Fort was closed and sold to the town of Tybee.
Also see . . . Historic Tybee Island. From 1897 to 1947, Fort Screven was an integral part of America's coastal defense system. (Submitted on October 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Environment • Landmarks • Military • Notable Buildings • War, Spanish-American • War, World I • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,435 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on October 28, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 5, 6. submitted on October 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.