Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Luis Potosí in Municipality of San Luis Potosí, Mexico — The Northeast (and Central Highlands)
 

Government Palace / Vicereine’s House

 
 
Government Palace / Vicereine’s House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 16, 2019
1. Government Palace / Vicereine’s House Marker
Inscription.  

Palacio de Gobierno
Fue construido a finales del siglo XVIII por orden del Visitador José de Gálvez en sustitución de las Casas Reales que fueron destruidas por los “tumultos” resultado de la expulsión de los Jesuitas de la ciudad en 1767. Se inició la construcción a partir del diseño neoclásico del ingeniero militar Miguel Constanzó en 1798, lográndose concluir hasta 1827.

A partir de 1824 fue sede del Gobierno del Estado, Ayuntamiento, el Supremo Tribunal de Justicia y la Legislatura. El 16 de septiembre de 1910 se inauguró el reloj en su fachada.

En 1966 el edificio fue ampliado por los arquitectos Cossío y Algara para ocupar la totalidad de la manzana.

Casa de la Virreina
Ubicada al norte de la Plaza de Armas. Esta casa perteneció al alférez don Manuel de la Gándara, tío de doña Francisca de la Gándara, virreina de la Nueva España por su matrimonio con el brigadier don Félix María Calleja del Rey.

Aunque la casa fue alterada, conserva la estructura original del patio, con sus arcadas y escaleras.

English:
Government Palace
This
Government Palace / Vicereine’s House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 16, 2019
2. Government Palace / Vicereine’s House Marker
The Vicereine’s House can be seen in the background in this view, with the marker to the right.
building was built at the end of the 18th century following orders of Official Visitor Jose de Gálvez to replace the Royal Houses that were destroyed by the “commotion” which resulted from the expel of the Jesuits from the city in 1767. Construction began with the design by the neoclassical military engineer, Miguel Costanzó in 1798, and was finally finished in 1827.

From 1824 it became the seat of the State Government, the City Council, the Court of Justice, and the Legislature. On September 16, 1910, the clock on its facade was inaugurated.

In 1966 the building was enlarged by architects Cossío and Algara to take up the whole square block.

Vicereine’s House
Located north of the Plaza de Armas (Weapons Plaza), this house belonged to Second Lieutenant Manuel de la Gándara, the uncle of Francisca de la Gándara, Vicereine of New Spain by marriage to Brigadier Félix María Calleja del Rey.

Though the house has been altered, it still maintains the original structure of the patio with its arcades and stairs.
 
Erected by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), Camino Real de Tierra Adentro.
 
Location. 22° 9.112′ N, 100° 58.601′ W. Marker is in San Luis Potosí, San Luis Potosí
The nearby Government Palace image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 16, 2019
3. The nearby Government Palace
, in Municipality of San Luis Potosí. Marker is on Jardín Hidalgo just north of Francisco I. Madero, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Luis Potosí 78000, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The House of the Vicereine (within shouting distance of this marker); Government Palace (within shouting distance of this marker); Former House of the Vicereine (within shouting distance of this marker); Arms Square / City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Royal Treasure / Monumental Palace (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Othón Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Metropolitan Cathedral / Vicereine's Balcony (within shouting distance of this marker); Municipal Palace (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Luis Potosí.
 
Categories. ArchitectureColonial EraMan-Made Features
 
More. Search the internet for Government Palace / Vicereine’s House.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 9, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.