Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ashtabula in Ashtabula County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Point Park

 
 
Point Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, April 13, 2019
1. Point Park Marker
Inscription.  Where you are standing on this high bluff, overlooking the entrance to Ashtabula Harbor is referred to as Point Park. For almost two centuries, people have traveled here to observe the business activity of Ashtabula Harbor. This vantage point of the working harbor is one of only a few found along the Great Lakes. As you view the dock below you may see pleasure boaters out for a day in the sun, the Ashtabula Lighthouse, the operation of the Bascule Lift Bridge and a spectacular view of Lake Erie. Freighters dock along the west side of the port waiting to be loaded with coal. Railcars carrying coal on the east side of the river are dumped into a loading area where the coal is moved by a conveyor through the massive "coal arch" to the west side of the river. The coal is then moved to the dock where it is loaded into an awaiting freighter. The freighter will depart the Ashtabula River past the lighthouses, which is perched on the west break wall in the outer harbor.

Point Park was originally part of the Western Reserve and Connecticut Land Company purchased by Nehemiah Hubbard. The land went to his heirs and was unsettled until the 1830's.
Point Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, April 13, 2019
2. Point Park Marker
The Hubbard family built a family home on the site and later converted the home into a hotel called the "Ohio Exchange". By 1874, the hotel was called the "Lakeside House" and was remodeled to sixty rooms. It was later renamed the "Point Park Hotel" before it was torn down several years later. During that time, many people enjoyed meeting at the park.

The land owners maintained the pathway up the hillside and provided benches and gardens for the visitors to enjoy. After the hillside and river frontage was sold to the railroad, the hillside was cut back to construct more railroad yards and docks. The City of Ashtabula purchased the land from Conrail in 1981. Plans to renovate the park by the Point Park Renovation Committee began in 1991 and work on the site began in 1999.
 
Erected 2002.
 
Location. 41° 54.082′ N, 80° 47.969′ W. Marker is in Ashtabula, Ohio, in Ashtabula County. Marker is on Walnut Boulevard east of Hulbert Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1071 Walnut Boulevard, Ashtabula OH 44004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Merchant Marine Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Bascule Lift Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); The Run Away Lake Erie Buoy
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Ship Air Funnel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ashtabula River (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1003 (about 500 feet away); 1005 (about 500 feet away); 1009 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ashtabula.
 
Categories. Parks & Recreational AreasRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 

More. Search the internet for Point Park.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 17, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 17, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement