St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Live oak timbers for the building of USS CONSTITUTION, better known as "OLD IRONSIDES." and the other vessels of our first US Navy were cut on St. Simons and loaded here in 1794 for shipment North where vessels were built.
During the Plantation Era these lands became the sea island cotton plantation of James Hamilton. A wharf here was the shipping center for the St. Simons plantations.
1874-1902 this Bluff was lined with great mills, where cypress and long leaf yellow pine timbers were sawed into lumber and shipped to all parts of the world.
The causeway built in 1924, connecting St. Simons with the mainland, has its terminus here.
In 1949 the Methodist Church acquired the upper part of the Bluff and established EPWORTH-BY-THE-SEA as a Conference Center.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-13.)
Marker series. Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 9.946′ N, 81° 24.6′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Demere Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Park at causeway entrance to St Simons Island Between Demere Road and King's Way. Marker is at or near this postal address: Demere Road, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Captain Gascoigne (a few steps from this marker); Hamilton Plantation (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Gascoigne Bluff (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cassina Garden Club Houses (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Man Named Wesley Passed This Way / Lovely Lane Chapel (approx. half a mile away); Epworth By The Sea / Epworth Pioneers (approx. half a mile away); A Mission By The Sea / Susannah Wesley (approx. half a mile away); Lovely Lane Chapel (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Regarding Gascoigne Bluff. This marker,(63-13) is a duplicate to Gascoigne Bluff (63-12),located .3 miles north on the Bluff....see nearby markers
Also see . . . A Story of Gascoigne Bluff. By Margaret Davis (Submitted on November 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,575 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.