Oconto in Oconto County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mission of St. Francois Xavier
Erected 1958 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 78.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 44° 53.498′ N, 87° 53.047′ W. Marker is in Oconto, Wisconsin, in Oconto County. Marker is on Brazeau Avenue (U.S. 41) 0.1 miles south of Charles Street (State Highway 22), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is next to the Oconto River. Marker is in this post office area: Oconto WI 54153, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Church of Christ, Scientist (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Copper Culture Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Nicholas Perrot (approx. ¾ mile away); Stanley Toy Company (approx. one mile away); Latitude 45° N (approx. 7.6 miles away); Lena Road Schoolhouse (approx. 12.9 miles away); Peshtigo Fire Cemetery (approx. 13.1 miles away); In Memoriam (approx. 13.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oconto.
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry. “From 1667 through 1669 Allouez made a missionary tour of the western missions. He served as a missionary to the Potawatomi Indians in Wisconsin. The next year he was with the Mesquakie, establishing St. Mark’s Mission, and founding the mission of St. James among the Miami and Mascouten Indians, finally returning to Green Bay later that year. He said the first Mass in Oconto, Wisconsin. In 1671, in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, he was a principal speaker at the ceremony that formally declared the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River valley as territory of the King of France.” (Submitted on August 19, 2012.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Native Americans • Notable Events • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,057 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on November 9, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 2, 3. submitted on August 7, 2012, by Melinda Roberts of De Pere, United States. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.