Cartersville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
A physician, minister and noted orator, Dr. Felton was the leader of the Independent Revolt from the State Democratic Party in the 1870īs and won three spectacular Congressional campaigns.
Mrs. Feltonīs appointment in 1922 at the age of 87, as the first woman U.S. Senator climaxed a long career in which she had gained wide recognition as an author, newspaper columnist, and crusader for womenīs rights.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 008-14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 12.369′ N, 84° 47.965′ W. Marker is in Cartersville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of Tennessee Road (U.S. 411) and Old Tennessee Road, on the right when traveling north on Tennessee Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cartersville GA 30120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John W. Akin ( approx. 2 miles away); Pettit Creek ( approx. 2 miles away); Pierce Manning Butler Young, (1836-1896) Old Bartow County Courthouse ( approx. 2.7 miles away); Bartow County ( approx. 2.8 miles away); God Bless America ( approx. 2.8 miles away); Private First Class Jerry Wayne Gentry ( approx. 2.8 miles away); Home of Sam P Jones ( approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cartersville.
Regarding Felton Home.
The Felton house burned to the ground in the past decade.
Also see . . .
1. Rebecca Latimer Felton from New Georgia Encyclopedia. (Submitted on November 11, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. Rebecca Felton from Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. (Submitted on November 11, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Notable Persons • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,279 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 10, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.