Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Rocky Glen Farm / Dawson Farmhouse: Built 1874
Dawson Farm Park – Rockville’s History in Your Backyard
This vernacular farmhouse was built in 1874 and was attached to the original enlarged log structure behind it, which was demolished in the 1930s. It reflects the influence of the Gothic Revival style, with its deeply pitched roof with center gable and pointed Gothic window.
During the Civil War, Lawrence and his family supported the Union. Their farm bordered the pike, which was frequently used by troops and adjoined the fairgrounds, which were used as a campsite by both armies. The Dawsons hid Union soldiers in their woods, nursed those who were injured or ill, and fed soldiers of both armies who appeared at their door. Lawrence Dawson served as
Erected by City of Rockville, Department of Recreation and Parks.
Location. 39° 4.465′ N, 77° 8.593′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Ritchie Parkway. This marker is in Dawson Farm Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 312 Ritchie Parkway, Rockville MD 20852, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dawson Farm - 1840-1979 (within shouting distance of this marker); Rocky Glen Farm / Dawson Farm: 1840-1980 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rocky Glen Farm/Dawson Farmhouse: Built 1912 (about 400 feet away); John C. Brown Memorial Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Mary's Catholic Church (approx. half a mile away); Saint Mary’s Church (approx. half a mile away); Rockville Station (approx. 0.6 miles away); Montgomery County Jail (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Categories. • Architecture • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Rocky Glen Farm / Dawson Farmhouse: Built 1874.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 19, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 19, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.