Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1799 residents of the community erected a handsome building to serve as a community hall and school. By 1820 several fine millers' homes overlooked Market Street. The village was home to coopers, carpenters, blacksmiths, leather workers, and mill hands. In 1869 Brandywine Village became part of Wilmington.
Brandywine Village was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. The boundaries of the district were expanded in 1976. Well-preserved millers' houses, the Academy, and especially the sound of the rushing Brandywine, remain as reminders of a rich past.
Erected 1998 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-101.)
Location. 39° 45.063′ N, 75° 32.593′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Market Street and Race Street, on the right when traveling north on N. Market Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilmington DE 19802, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joseph Tatnall House ( within shouting distance of this marker); Looking Back ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Clifford Brown ( approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church ( approx. ¼ mile away); Sugar Bowl ( approx. 0.3 miles away); Howard High School ( approx. 0.3 miles away); African American Medal of Honor Recipients Memorial ( approx. 0.3 miles away); One Love Park ( approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,544 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 15, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.