Near Rion in Fairfield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This early Greek Revival house, built about 1835, is notable for its central double-tiered pedimented portico and double end chimneys. It was named for the oak avenue leading up to it and the oak grove surrounding it. The Oaks was built for Richard A.R. Hallum (1809-1875), who sold it and its 1,000 acre plantation to John Montgomery Lemmon (1829-1906) in 1856.
In February 1865 John M. Lemmon was in the Confederate army in Virginia when elements of Gen. W.T. Sherman's Federal army advanced toward Winnsboro from Columbia. Foragers looted the plantation, taking food, livestock, and valuables. The Oaks was owned by the Lemmon family or their descendants until the 1980s. It was listed in the National Register of Historical Places in 1984.
Erected 2006 by Fairfield County Historical Society. (Marker Number 20-24.)
Location. 34° 21.234′ N, 81° 11.274′ W. Marker is near Rion, South Carolina, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Monjicono Road (State Highway 213) half a mile west of Jackson Creek Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winnsboro SC 29180, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this Kincaid-Anderson House (approx. 4 miles away); Old Brick Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Saint John's Episcopal Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Fairfield County Courthouse (approx. 6.1 miles away); Cathcart-Ketchin House / Catharine Ladd (approx. 6.1 miles away); Fairfield County / Winnsboro (approx. 6.1 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 6.1 miles away); Town Clock (approx. 6.1 miles away).
Also see . . . South Carolina Department of Archives and History. (Submitted on December 9, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,230 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 9, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.