Greensboro in Greene County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Commissioner of Agriculture
Commissioner Janes, born 1823 in present Taliaferro County, (formerly the eastern part of Greene County), moved to Penfield. There he attended Mercer Institute. In 1842 he entered Columbian College (George Washington Univ.), Washington, D.C., where he received his A.B. degree. Columbian College, Mercer University, and the College of New Jersey (Princeton University) awarded his A.M. degrees. In 1847 he was granted his M.D. degree from the University of the City of New York. A successful farmer and physician he was commissioned in 1861 as Assistant Surgeon, 16th Regiment, Georgia Militia.
He died at his home, “Redcliff Farm”, near this site, in 1885, and is buried in the family cemetery four miles northeast of this marker.
This marker was erected by the Georgia Department of Agriculture and the Georgia Historical Commission as directed in a resolution passed by the 1961 session of the Georgia General Assembly.
Erected by Georgia Department of Agriculture and the Georgia Historical Commission.
Location. 33° 34.602′ N, 83° 10.944′ Touch for map. The marker is located in front of the Greene County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Greensboro GA 30642, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William C. Dawson (here, next to this marker); Greene County (a few steps from this marker); Old Greene County "Gaol" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sheriff L. L. Wyatt (about 400 feet away); The Burning of Greensborough (about 600 feet away); Bishop George Foster Pierce (about 700 feet away); Unknown Confederate Dead (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Springfield Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensboro.
Categories. • Agriculture • Government • Notable Persons • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 954 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 26, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on December 31, 2008. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.