Sonoma in Sonoma County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Mission San Francisco Solano
This plaque replaces one originally dedicated by the Historical Landmarks Committee, Native Sons of the Golden West, 1926.
Erected 1963 by The California State Parks Commission in Cooperation with the Sonoma Parlor No.111, Native Sons of the Golden West, July 14, 1963. (Marker Number 3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 17.62′ N, 122° 27.355′ W. Marker is in Sonoma, California, in Sonoma County. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on the wall of the Mission Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 East Spain Street, Sonoma CA 95476, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The End of the Mission Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Mission San Francisco Solano Sacred Ground (within Blue Wing Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Vasquez House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sonoma Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Toscano Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Raising of the Bear Flag Monument (about 300 feet away); Servants Quarters (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sonoma.
Regarding Mission San Francisco Solano. This site has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.3
Also see . . .
1. Mission San Francisco Solano. (Submitted on January 13, 2009.)
2. Mission San Francisco Solano. (Submitted on January 13, 2009.)
1. Mission San Francisco Solano
The northernmost and the last of 21 California missions, the site was selected by Fr. Jose Altimira in 1823. The mission was named for a Peruvian saint. The building is not the original mission, which was a wooden structure dating
In 1881, in a ruined condition, the building was sold to Soloman Schocken who used it variously as a hay barn, winery and blacksmith shop. The building was substantially weakened by the 1906 earthquake.
The restored adobe has been stuccoed and features wood lintels, hand-hewn timbers tied together with leather thongs and a tile roof supported on boughs. The earthen floor is bricked and tiled. The original Mission bell hangs under a heavy beam. A large clump of ancient cactus fills most of the north side. The cupola was added to the peak of the front gable roof about 1850. Although extensively altered through restoration, the Mission represents the establishment of contemporary history in Sonoma.
Source: Sonoma Walking Tour Brochure
— Submitted January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Additional keywords. California Missions
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 30,099 times since then and 12 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week April 17, 2011. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 11, 12. submitted on January 17, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 13. submitted on January 18, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 14. submitted on April 14, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 15. submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 16. submitted on February 16, 2011.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo or postcard image of the original plaque mentioned in marker text. • Can you help?