Near Fairfax in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Battle of Ox Hill
September 1, 1862
4th Maine, 2nd Brigade (Birney), Kearny’s Division:
Pvt. Lorenzo E. Dickey, Co. A, Age 21: At Chantilly, received gunshot would in right thigh. Taken to a field hospital “in the vicinity of the battleground” where the leg was amputated at the upper third, four days after the battle. Arrived at Douglas Hospital, D.C. Sept. 8. On Oct. 16, twenty ounces of blood lost in hemorrhage of femoral artery. By Jan. 1, 1863, the wound had healed. Discharged from St. Elizabeth’s Hospital June 16, 1863. Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion, Vol. XI, 1870s
28th Massachusetts, 3rd Brigade (Morrison), Stevens’ Division:
Pvt. James McEnvoy, Co. F, Age 32: Wounded by a shell fragment at Chantilly, which struck a glancing blow to the right side of his head, tearing away a 3 ½ by 1 ½ -inch piece of scalp and fracturing the skull. He left the battlefield without assistance and was admitted to Emory Hospital in Washington Sept. 2. On Sept. 8, he became partially paralyzed on the left side. On Sept. 14, a piece of bone was removed, exposing the brain. By Oct. 8 the wound was healing, though the soldier was unable to use his left hand.
100th Pennsylvania, 2nd Brigade (Lecky), Stevens’ Division:
Pvt. L.F. Spragg, Co. H: Wounded in right arm Sept. 1. Bullet entered two inches below head of humerous on outside, passed downward and inward, fracturing the bone. To Douglas Hospital, D.C. Sept. 8. On Sept. 20, hemorrhaging occurred and arm was amputated. Loss of blood, weak condition and … “nervous prostration” caused his death. Medical and Surgical History, Vol. X, 1870s
13th South Carolina, Gregg’s Brigade, A.P. Hill’s Division:
At Ox Hill, Lieutenant [West C.] Leopard…was brought back to me with both of his legs torn off below the knees by a shell, and another man with part of his arm torn off, but neither Dr. Kenedy, Dr. Kilgore nor our medical wagon was with us, and I had nothing to give them but morphine. They both died during the night… We filled the carriage house, barn and stable with our wounded, but I could not do but little for them.” Dr. Spencer Glasgow Welch, Surgeon, 13th S.C. Volunteers Letter to his wife, Sept. 3, 1862, published 1911
37th North Carolina,Branch’s Brigade, A.P. Hill’s Division:
Captain Walter W. Lenior, Co. A: At Ox Hill, a musket ball passed through his right leg
(Kiosk Panel): The Wounded Left Behind
During the Ox Hill battle, the Confederates established temporary hospitals at locations along the Little River Turnpike. Afterward, they moved most of their wounded 2.5 miles west to a field hospital at the Chantilly House and plantation.
The Union forces collected their wounded at the Millan House, just south of here, which served as the Federal hospital. There, surgeons worked until late at night doing amputations. Around 3 a.m., the Union army withdrew toward Jermantown and Fairfax Court House. The most seriously wounded were left behind and became prisoners by dawn. Sgt. Daniel Fletcher of the 40th New York Volunteers had
”A rebel colonel came into the building where we were and took all our names, to be exchanged. He said he could do nothing for us, the commissary stores not having arrived. Two surgeons were left to take charge of us, but we did not have our wounds dressed till the fourth day after the fight. There were about 150 wounded men in the buildings where we were; five or six died of their wounds every twenty-four hours. [Corporal] Flynn and other well men buried them.
When we had been prisoners a few days, our rations gave out. Flynn dug the garden over two or three times, and cooked for us all the potatoes, beets, turnips or other eatables he could find. The last few days we had very little to eat except coffee. The agents of the Sanitary Commission were the first to find us; and then we had bread in abundance.”
Their release finally arranged, transportation arrived: There were some thirty ambulances in the train, each drawn by two horses. There were two wounded men in each lying on beds. We started from [Ox Hill] about four o’clock in the afternoon, and arrived in Washington about dawn the next day.”
Erected 2008 by Fairfax County Park Authority.
Location. 38° 51.863′ Touch for map. These panels are on the right of three interpretive kiosks at the Ox Hill Battlefield Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4134 West Ox Road, Fairfax VA 22033, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfax.
More about this marker. The Wounded Left Behind panel features a map depicting the general movement of Wounded carried by litter bearers and the location of Confederate Field
Also see . . .
1. The Battle of Ox Hill (Chantilly). “A Last Salute” (Submitted on January 25, 2009.)
2. The Battle of Chantilly. Civil War Preservation Trust (Submitted on January 25, 2009.)
3. Reno's Dispatch. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies (Submitted on January 25, 2009.)
4. Chantilly. Northern Virginia History Notes, by Debbie Robison October 23, 2007 (Submitted on January 25, 2009.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 25, 2009. This page has been viewed 1,334 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 25, 2009. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.