Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
White House of the Confederacy
More often, the house was the site of official receptions and unofficial parties. One observer declared Confederate First Lady Varina Davis “to be a woman of warm heart and impetuous tongue, witty and caustic, with a sensitive nature underlying all; a devoted wife and mother, and a most gracious mistress of a salon.”
The Davisesí young family enlivened the White House. “Statesmen passing through the halls on their way to the discussion of weighty things were likely to hear the ringing laughter of the care-free and happy Davis children issuing from somewhere above the stairs or the gardens,” remembered a family friend. Two Davis children, William and Varina Anne, were born in this house; one, Joseph,
On April 4, 1865, U.S. President Abraham Lincoln visited here ten days before his assassination and less than 48 hours after Davis departed. Here, Lincoln began meeting with prominent Virginians to discuss the stateís reconstruction.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 37° 32.454′ N, 77° 25.776′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Clay Street and North 12th Street, on the right when traveling east on East Clay Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23219, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. White House of the Confederacy (a few steps from this marker); Alexander H. Stephens House Site (a few steps from this marker); Wickham-Valentine House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Maupin - Maury House (about 400 feet away); Matthew Fontaine Maury (about 400 feet away); Grant House / Sheltering Arms Hospital The Edward V. Valentine Sculpture Studio (about 500 feet away); Valentine Museum (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a period photo of the mansion with the caption, “White House, April 1865. Built for Dr. John Brockenbrough in 1818, the mansion housed a school after the war. The Confederate Memorial Literary Society acquired it in 1894. – Courtesy Library of Congress”
In the upper center and right are three photos of the Davis family: “President Jefferson Davis (1808-1889)”, “Varina Howell Davis (1826-1906)”, and “The Davis children (left to right: Jeff, Jr., Margaret, Varina Anne, and William) in Montreall, 1867”. Jefferson Davis photo courtesy National Archives and records Administration; others courtesy Museum and White House of the Confederacy
Also see . . . The Museum of the Confederacy. The White House of the Confederacy (Submitted on February 19, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,102 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 4. submitted on March 22, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 5. submitted on April 7, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.