Ticonderoga in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Grand Carry Landing
The French saw mill, the first ever built in the Champlain Valley, was erected in 1756 at the foot of the falls on the site of the present mills. In this saw mill, Abercromby had his headquarters during his disastrous battle with Montcalm’s forces at the French lines July 8, 1758.
Washington and Franklin passed over this Military Road during the Revolution.
Presented to the Ticonderoga Historical Society for the citizens of the town by the Ticonderoga Paper Company. Unveiled by the New York State Historical Association, October 4, 1910.
Erected 1910 by Ticonderoga Paper Company.
Location. 43° 50.915′ N, 73° 25.343′ W. Marker is in Ticonderoga, New York, in Essex County. Marker is on Montcalm Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ticonderoga NY 12883, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hon. Clayton Harris DeLano (a few steps Men of Ticonderoga (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lord Howe’s Grave (approx. ¼ mile away); Military Heroes of Ticonderoga (approx. 0.3 miles away); Artillery Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mount Defiance (approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing); From this point south… (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ticonderoga.
Also see . . . The Battle of Ticonderoga 1758. Account of the battle on the website BritishBattles.com. (Submitted on February 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Native Americans • War, French and Indian • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,190 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.