Lawrenceville in Gwinnett County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First County Officers, commissioned in March, 1819, were: William Blake, Sheriff; James Wardlaw, Clerk Superior Court; Thomas A. Dobbs, Clerk Inferior Court; John Wynn, Corner; James C. Reed, Surveyor; James Loughridge, Tax Collector; John W. Beauchamp, Tax Receiver.
In 1849, the four corner lots on the public square were deeded to Charles H. Smith (Bill Arp), N.L. Hutchins, James P. Simmons, and T.W. Alexander, lawyers, so long as they maintained a substantial fence around the square to keep out wandering livestock. The first fence under this agreement was eight feet high with a stile on each side.
Erected 1960 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 067-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 57.402′ Touch for map. Marker is located on the lawn of the Old Gwinnett County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Lawrenceville GA 30045, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Button Gwinnett (here, next to this marker); Birthplace of Bill Arp (a few steps from this marker); Garrard’s Cavalry Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial to the Fallen of 1836 (within shouting distance of this marker); Watering Trough 1873 (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Veterans of Gwinnett County, Georgia (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Home of Major William E. Simmons (about 300 feet away); In Tribute to Ezzard Charles (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lawrenceville.
Regarding Gwinnett County. The Old Gwinnett County Courthouse was built in 1885. County offices were moved to a new courthouse in 1988, and in 1991-1992 the Old Courthouse was restored. It is used for a variety of functions today, including housing the Gwinnett Historical Society.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,517 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.