Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Colonial Heights, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Clifton

 
 
Fort Clifton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 15, 2009
1. Fort Clifton Marker
Inscription. A short distance east on the Appomattox River stands Confederate Fort Clifton, an important fortification that guarded Petersburg against Union naval attack during the Civil War. On 9 May 1864, Federal gunboats commanded by Maj. Gen. Charles K. Graham attacked the fort. During the engagement, Fort Clifton's artillery disabled the army gunboat Samuel L. Brewster, which its crew then scuttled. The fort's garrison, commanded by Capt. S. Taylor Martin, of the Virginia artillery, received a special commendation from Maj. Gen. George E. Pickett, the commander of the Petersburg defenses. Fort Clifton was evacuated on 2 April 1865, one week before Lee's surrender at Appomattox.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number S 33.)
 
Location. 37° 16.85′ N, 77° 22.315′ W. Marker is in Colonial Heights, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Conduit Road and Brockwell Lane, on the right when traveling north on Conduit Road. Touch for map. The marker is in front of Tussing Elementary School. Marker is in this post office area: Colonial Heights VA 23834, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Fortification (approx. mile away); a different marker
Conduit Road & Brockwell Lane image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 15, 2009
2. Conduit Road & Brockwell Lane
also named Fort Clifton (approx. mile away); a different marker also named Fort Clifton (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Brick House At Conjurer's Neck (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Old Brick (Kennon) House (approx. half a mile away); Conjurer's Field Prehistoric Native American Village (approx. half a mile away); Ellerslie (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Ellerslie (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colonial Heights.
 
Also see . . .
1. City of Colonial Heights. History of Fort Clifton. (Submitted on March 16, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 

2. Civil War Traveler. Colonial Heights. (Submitted on March 16, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Nearby Berberich Park, Site of Fort Clifton image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 15, 2009
3. Nearby Berberich Park, Site of Fort Clifton
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,093 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   3. submitted on October 22, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement