Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Tradesmen on Governor Harvey’s Lot 1630s
Archaeologists found evidence of these activities on Harvey’s lot. An area of intensive industrial activity near the Pitch and Tar Swamp centered around a brewhouse and apothecary. A large refuse pit provided clay for a potter and eventually served as a place to dispose of waster pottery. Two smaller pits may have been used for tanning leather. Another pit was an iron smelting furnace.
Evidence suggests that much of the activity on this property stopped when Harvey left Virginia. But other lime and brick kilns, scattered throughout the townsite, indicate that tradesmen continued to provide for the town’s needs.
Erected by Colonial National Historic Park.
Location. 37° 12.544′ N, 76° 46.58′ W. Marker is near Touch for map. Marker is in the "New Towne" section of the Historic Jamestown unit of Colonial National Historic Park. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Place of Work (within shouting distance of this marker); Iron and Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); Pitch and Tar Swamp (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor Harvey’s House 1630s (within shouting distance of this marker); Efforts to Build a Town 1660-1699 (within shouting distance of this marker); Swann’s Tavern 1670s (within shouting distance of this marker); Foundations at Jamestown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Inside a Home (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
More about this marker. The right side of the marker features a picture of “Industrial activities on Governor Harvey’s property.” The left of the marker contains photographs of a “Refuse pit containing pottery wasters and evidence of medicinal plants, excavated ca. 1990s,” and a “Structure on Harvey’s property where brewing and iron working occurred, excavated ca. 1950s.” Above these is a picture of a “17th-century apothecary at work.”
Also see . . .
1. Tradesmen on the Lot of Governor Harvey - 1630s. Colonial National Historic Park from National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 26, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Historic Jamestowne. Historic Jamestowne is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The site is jointly administered by APVA Preservation Virginia and the National Park Service. (Submitted on March 26, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 638 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.