Near Conowingo in Cecil County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Susquehannock Indian Fort
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
Location. 39° 39.701′ N, 76° 9.512′ W. Marker is near Conowingo, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker is on Susquehanna River Road (U.S. 222) 0.8 miles south of Conowingo Road (U.S. 1), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Conowingo MD 21918, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Proprietors of the Susquehanna Canal (approx. 1.1 miles away); Conowingo (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lafayette at Colonel Rigbie’s House (was approx. 2.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Berkley Crossroads (approx. 2.7 miles away); Bald Friar Ford & Ferry (approx. 2.7 miles away); Keziah's Diary (approx. 2.7 miles away); Smith’s Falls (approx. 3.4 miles away); Richards Oak (approx. 3.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conowingo.
Regarding A Susquehannock Indian Fort. The controversy was resolved with the boundary surveyed by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon between 1763 and 1767—the “Mason-Dixon Line.”
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,998 times since then and 79 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 21, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.