Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Berryville in Clarke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Berryville

 
 
Berryville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
1. Berryville Marker
Inscription. Before 1798 Berryville was known as Battletown, a name that perhaps originated from a local tavern famous for its fistfights. The General assembly incorporated the town of Berryville on 15 Jan. 1798. Located at a major crossroads of the Shenandoah Valley and Northern Virginia, Berryville saw much military activity during the Civil War. On 13 Aug. 1864 Col. John S. Mosby attacked a Union supply train destined for Maj. Gen. Philip Sheridan’s troops at Winchester. Important nearby houses include Audley, the home of Nellie Custis, Washington’s stepgranddaughter, and Rosemont, the home of Gov. Harry Flood Byrd, Sr.
 
Erected 1997 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Q-3.)
 
Location. 39° 8.548′ N, 77° 59.343′ W. Marker is in Berryville, Virginia, in Clarke County. Marker is on South Buckmarsh Street (U.S. 340), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Berryville VA 22611, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Josephine City (approx. ¼ mile away); The Schools of Josephine City (approx. half a mile away); Fight at Gold’s Farm (approx. half a mile away); Milton Valley Cemetery
Berryville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
2. Berryville Marker
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Lucy Diggs Slowe (approx. 0.6 miles away); Benjamin Berry (approx. 0.7 miles away); Clarke County Courthouse (approx. 0.8 miles away); James Ireland (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berryville.
 
Also see . . .  Berryville Historic District. (Submitted on July 21, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable PersonsPolitical SubdivisionsWar, US Civil
 
Was a Tavern.... Now a Flower Shop image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 15, 2007
3. Was a Tavern.... Now a Flower Shop
This flower shop occupies the site of a tavern from the 18th Century at the corner of Church and Main Streets. Local lore has it Revolutionary War hero Gen. Daniel Morgan frequented the tavern, and was involved with many fights there.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,297 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement