Jonesboro in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Johnson-Blalock House
Source: A History of Clayton County, Georgia 1821-1983 by Joseph Henry Hightower Moore
Location. 33° 31.437′ N, 84° 21.266′ W. Marker is in Jonesboro, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Georgia Route 54) and Stockbridge Road (Georgia Route 138), on the right when traveling south on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 155 North Main Street, Jonesboro GA 30236, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lee's Corps Withdrawn (within shouting distance of this marker); Heritage Place (within shouting distance of this marker); Clayton County (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Jonesborough (approx. 0.2 miles away); Patrick Cleburne Confederate Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Two Days of Battle at Jonesboro (approx. 0.4 miles away); Diverted Attack (approx. 0.4 miles away); Unknown Confederate Soldiers Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonesboro.
Regarding The Johnson-Blalock House. The house was probably built in the 1840s, in the "plantation plain" style common in Georgia. In the 1850s it was enlarged and remodeled to its present appearance.
James F. Johnson's widow, mentioned on the marker, was Martha Holiday Johnson. She was
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Politics • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,194 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 22, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 6. submitted on October 29, 2009, by Samuel Eugene Blalock Jr of McDonough, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.