Near Falling Spring in Alleghany County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1961 by Virgina State Library. (Marker Number D-26.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
Location. 37° 52.686′ N, 79° 55.394′ W. Marker is near Falling Spring, Virginia, in Alleghany County. Marker is on U.S. 220 2.7 miles south of County Route 606, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hot Springs VA 24445, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Falling Spring Falls (approx. 1.5 miles away); The Road to the Kanawha (approx. 2.8 miles away); Low Moor Iron Company Coke Ovens (approx. 6.2 miles away); Oakland Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away); Oakland Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); a different marker also named Oakland Presbyterian Church and Cemetery Oakland Grove Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Jackson River Depot (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falling Spring.
Also see . . . Fort Breckenridge, aka Fort Mann. Interestingly, this is not the text currently identified for this marker by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. The official wording, approved in 1999, is:
Fort Breckenridge, also called Fort Mann, stood three miles west at the mouth of Falling Spring Creek. It was built by 1756 during the French and Indian War (1754-1763) as one in a series of fortifications to protect Virginia's frontier. Capt. Robert Breckenridge and his militia garrisoned the fort, which was inspected by Col. George Washington on his frontier tour in 1756. In 1763, during Pontiac's War (1763-1764), the Shawnee chief Cornstalk led a force against the fort but was defeated in a hard fought engagement. (Submitted on November 25, 2014, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,501 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 3. submitted on July 22, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the mouth of Falling Spring Creek • Can you help?