Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Berryville in Clarke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Colonial Highway

 
 
Colonial Highway Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
1. Colonial Highway Marker
Inscription. This is one of the oldest roads leading from the east to the Shenandoah Valley; It crosses the Blue Ridge at Snickerís Gap. The ferry right over the Shenandoah River was granted, 1766. Washington used this road many times. Some distance to the east the first aerial telegraph signals were sent from the roadside, 1868.
 
Erected 1947 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number T-8.)
 
Location. 39° 7.774′ N, 77° 54.583′ W. Marker is in Berryville, Virginia, in Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of Harry Byrd Highway (Virginia Route 7) and Quarry Road (Virginia Route 612), on the right when traveling east on Harry Byrd Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Berryville VA 22611, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Cool Spring (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Retreat (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Cool Spring (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Cool Spring (approx. 2.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Cool Spring
Marker at the Intersection of Harry Byrd Highway and Quarry Road image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
2. Marker at the Intersection of Harry Byrd Highway and Quarry Road
(approx. 2.2 miles away); Col. Morgan's Lane (approx. 2.5 miles away); Wickliffe Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Audley (was approx. 2.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berryville.
 
Categories. Colonial EraRoads & Vehicles
 
Colonial Highway Through Snicker's Gap image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
3. Colonial Highway Through Snicker's Gap
Modern day Harry Byrd Highway passes through Snicker's Gap at roughly the same location as the historical Colonial Highway. Castelman's Ferry operated across the river near the bridge.
Snicker's Ford image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
4. Snicker's Ford
Just upstream from the modern day Harry Byrd Highway bridge and the historic site of Castelman's Ferry is Snicker's Ford, which served as an alternate crossing point for the Colonial Highway traffic. The boat ramp on the left is directly under the modern day bridge.
Shepherd's Ford image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
5. Shepherd's Ford
Further upstream at a bend in the river is Shepherd's Ford, also an alternative crossing for Colonial Highway traffic. Federal forces attempted crossings here during the Battle of Cool Spring in 1864.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,332 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 22, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement