Chambersburg in Franklin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1755-56 by
Colonel Benjamin Chambers
Founder of Chambersburg
A two story stone structure surrounded
By a moat
A stockade manned by two swivel guns
Enclosed the fort, flour mill, sawmill,
Kittochtinny Historical Society
Franklin County Chapter D.A.R.
Erected 1984 by Kittochtinny Hist. Soc., Franklin Co. Chapter, DAR.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 56.33′ N, 77° 39.74′ W. Marker is in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, in Franklin County. Marker is on West King Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chambersburg PA 17201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thompson's Rifle Battalion: Capt. James Chambers' Company (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Fort Chambers (within shouting distance of this marker); This Dwight D. Eisenhower Green Ash (within shouting distance of this marker); Founding Family Memorial Statue (within shouting distance of this marker); The John Jack Tavern (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Greatest Sacrifice / Prelude to Gettysburg (about 500 feet away); World War II – Korean Conflict – Vietnam Conflict (about 600 feet away); Underground Railroad Activity in Chambersburg (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chambersburg.
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 5, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,031 times since then and 11 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on May 5, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.