Marblehead in Ottawa County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In Memory of Mason, Simonds & Mingus
Mason, Simonds, & Mingus.
Who fell near this place
in battle with the Indians.
Sept. 29, 1812.
This Monument was erected in 1857 by Joshua R. Giddings
Erected 1858 by Hon. J.R. Giddings.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United States Daughters of 1812 marker series.
Location. 41° 30.838′ N, 82° 44.636′ W. Marker is in Marblehead, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker is on East Bay Shore Road just from Seneca Trail, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. This historical marker is located on the south side of the Marblehead peninsula, on the north side of the Sandusky Bay shores, and directly north of Johnson Island. Marker is in this post office area: Lakeside Marblehead OH 43440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other First Battle Site (within shouting distance of this marker); The Keeper's House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Benajah Walcott (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named The Keeper’s House (about 600 feet away); Johnson's Island (approx. half a mile away); Johnson's Island Prison (approx. 1.2 miles away); Confederate Stockade Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Johnson’s Island Committee (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marblehead.
More about this marker. There are several other related historical markers and memorials in the immediate area of this marker. According to the Ottawa County Historical Society this historical marker was erected in 1857 by Joshua Giddings, a prominent United States Congressman from Ashtabula, Ohio, who had fought in the battle. The American soldiers who died in the skirmish were buried at the site (and those who were interred there included at least one Revolutionary War veteran).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Military • Native Americans • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 14, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,381 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 14, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.