Ringgold in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Taylorís Ridge, visible for miles, is named for the Indian chief Richard Taylor.
Catoosa Springs, four miles to the east, and Gordon Springs, ten miles south, were colorful ante-bellum summer resorts.
The bloody Chickamauga battle was fought seven miles to the west, the battlefield now being a National Military Park.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 023-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 54.964′ N, 85° 6.64′ W. Marker is in Ringgold, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is on Nashville Street (U.S. 41) 0 miles west of Jail Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on the Catoosa Courthouse lawn. Marker is in this post office area: Ringgold GA 30736, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Hospitals (here, next to this marker); Catoosa County War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Flame of Freedom (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Chickamauga (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Actions At Ringgold (about 700 feet away); The Whitman House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Western & Atlantic Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Evans House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ringgold.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Natural Features • Political Subdivisions • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,312 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 23, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.