Near Winder in Barrow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Rockwell Universalist Church
Church reorganized in 1867 by Dr. L. F. W. Andrews as first Universalist Church of then Jackson County, and called Mulberry Church. Voting precinct and Justice Court, known as House’s District, were located here until 1900. Present building erected 1881, and name changed to Rockwell Church. Paul Hill deeded the land to the church
Erected 1978 by Rockwell Church and Barrow County Historical Society.
Location. 34° 2.07′ N, 83° 42.51′ W. Marker is near Winder, Georgia, in Barrow County. Marker is at the intersection of Gainesville Highway (Georgia Route 53) and Rockwell Church Road, on the right when traveling north on Gainesville Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winder GA 30680, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Winder's Most Historical Site (approx. 2.9 miles away); Concord Methodist Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Glenwood Elementary and High School Barrow County (approx. 3 miles away); The Stoneman Raid Battle of King's Tanyard (approx. 3 miles away); Builder of the Nation (approx. 3.1 miles away); Battle of King's Tanyard (approx. 3.7 miles away); Russell House (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winder.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,331 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.