Greenville in Darke County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
The largest pioneer fort
in Ohio, built in 1793, by
General Anthony Wayne.
Here, August 5, 1795, the
Treaty was signed by which
much of present Ohio was
opened to White settlement.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. 40° 6.164′ N, 84° 38.032′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Ohio, in Darke County. Marker is at the intersection of South Broadway Street (Ohio Route 49) and West Main Street, on the right when traveling south on South Broadway Street. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in the heart of present day, downtown, Greenville, Ohio. Like many of Ohio's rural county seats, Greenville has a traffic circle in the center of town where it's major streets intersect one another. This historical marker is located in the northwest corner of this intersection, very near the Greenville municipal building. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville OH 45331, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Treaty of Greeneville (within shouting distance of this marker); Treaty of Greene Ville 1795 (within shouting distance of this marker); Signing of the Treaty of Greene Ville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Water Street Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anthony Wayne Flag Pole (approx. ¼ mile away); Treaty of Greene Ville Peace Medal (approx. ¼ mile away); Annie Oakley, 1860 - 1926 (approx. 0.3 miles away); In Memory of Tecumseh (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
More about this marker. This historical marker was part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
Regarding Fort Greene-Ville. In his book, "The Forts of Ohio" (published 2005), author Gary S. Williams states the following about Fort Greene Ville:
"Fort Greene Ville was really not a fort as much as it was a military city. In fact, it was more often referred to as Camp Greene Ville or just Greene Ville. But regardless of name, this post was large enough to host over 2,000 American troops and more than 1,100 Indian guests, which made it the largest city for miles around."
"Anthony Wayne had Fort Greene Ville built in 1793 as a winter quarters for his entire army. The new American commander had been recruiting and training his troops for over a year, and he wanted an advanced self-sufficient fort to launch a campaign from in the spring...."
"The Americans passed through Fort Jefferson on October 14, and advanced six miles farther north, where they found an excellent camp site. The spot featured a high level ground near a creek confluence on one side and overlooking a broad prairie on the other. St. Clair had camped on the spot after leaving Fort Jefferson, and would no doubt have used that spot for a fort had he seen it first."
"Though Wayne wanted to attack, he did not want to rush into battle this late in the year, like St. Clair did. After a convoy train was attacked on October 17, Wayne decided to fortify his spot and use it as a springboard the next year."
"Having to house the entire army required a stockade that was about 900 by 1,800 feet and covered over 50 acres of ground. Wayne ordered eight temporary buildings constructed to house troops during the building process. These buildings later were used as council houses during negotiations for the Greene Ville Treaty. The northern and western walls of the fort were irregularly shaped due to the proximity to creek and the contours of the plateau the fort
"The interior of the fort was designed as a military city sufficient to sustain over 2,000 men. The layout featured a city block-type setup. There were gardens, blacksmith shops, houses for both Generals Wayne and Wilkinson, even a slaughterhouse and tannery. On November 21, 1793, Wayne christened the new post Greene Ville, in honor of his Revolutionary comrade Nathaniel Greene...."
"When spring finally arrived in 1794, Wayne wanted to take the offensive but felt he needed to strengthen his supply system and wait for reinforcements. On July 26, General Charles Scott arrived with 1,500 mounted Kentucky militia. Two days later, Wayne's army marched out of Greene Ville to inaugurate the campaign that culminated in the defeat of the Indians at Fallen Timbers. On November 2, the army returned in triumph to their winter quarters. They were greeted by a 24 gun salute from Greene Ville cannon...."
"Today, this spot is covered by much of downtown Greenville. While markers such as the one in front of city hall are at certain locations, the exact site of the fort was unknown for a long time. However, in 2002 an archaeological expedition uncovered the site of one of the eight blockhouses that were later used as council houses. this discovery will make it easier to find the exact location of other parts of Ohio's largest fort."
Also see . . .
1. Fort Greene Ville. This link is published and made available by, "Ohio History Central," an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on June 12, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Treaty of Greeneville (1795). This link is published and made available by, "Ohio History Central," an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on June 12, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on January 16, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
4. A picture of the marker when it was mounted at the front entrance to City Hall. This March 25, 1938 photograph was taken for the Ohio Federal Writers' Project. (Submitted on February 2, 2011.)
5. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio (Submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
6. Site of Fort Green-Ville, O.R.M.C. Marker, C-15. This is a link to information provided by the "Ohio Memory" records. (Submitted on March 17, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
7. 1931 'Biennium Report of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission'. This is a link to information provided by the Ohio War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission's website, regarding the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission's military trails system and trail markers. (Submitted on March 23, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,550 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 12, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2. submitted on March 17, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 3. submitted on June 12, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4. submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5. submitted on December 8, 2018, by J. Wesley Baker of Springfield, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.