Manassas in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Wisconsin Company
1st Regiment of Berdan's U.S. Sharpshooters
1st Regiment of Berdan's
used many cartridges on this
spot, August 30, 1862. Losing
1 man killed and 8 wounded
position marked by Geo. E. Albee, a private of the company
Location. 38° 49.175′ N, 77° 33.072′ W. Marker is in Manassas, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on Featherbed Lane (County Route 622), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located on the Deep Cut Trail, along the old railroad bed, in Manassas National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Manassas VA 20109, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. On the Skirmish Line (here, next to this marker); Attack at Deep Cut (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 83rd Pennsylvania Infantry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Groveton Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fourth Brigade (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Rock Fight (approx. 0.2 miles away); 24th New York Infantry (approx. 0.2 miles away); 13th New York Infantry (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manassas.
Also see . . . George Emerson Albee. Albee later was commissioned and served in the Army after the war. (Submitted on June 30, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. History of this Marker
Jim Burgess of Manassas National Battlefield offers this brief history of the marker:
The sign in question, known locally as the "Cedar Pole Monument," was first erected by George E. Albee, a veteran of Co. G (Wisconsin Company), 1st U.S.S.S. who was wounded at Second Manassas, and a Medal of Honor recipient (Indian Wars service). The exact date for the original sign is not known but it was put in place during one of Albee's several visits to the battlefield after his retirement from the U.S. Army in 1878 and before his death in 1918. Albee reportedly boarded with the Dogan family during his visits. We speculate it may date to about 1890. The present marker, as John Hennessy has correctly pointed out, is a replacement fabricated by the NPS while what we believe to be the original sign, now barely legible, resides in the park's museum collection (Catalog # MANA 1657).
— Submitted July 6, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,242 times since then and 19 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week September 27, 2009. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 30, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5. submitted on December 20, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.