Near Cumberland in Cumberland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Cumberland County / Powhatan County
Area 293 square miles
Formed in 1748 from Goochland, and named for the Duke of Cumberland, second son of King George II. The earliest call for independence came from this county, April 22, 1776.
(Reverse) Powhatan County
Area 273 square miles
Formed in 1777 from Cumberland and Chesterfield and named for Powhatan, the noted Indian ruler. Many Huguenots settled in this county, 1699-1700. Here Robert E. Lee spent the summer of 1865.
Erected 1938 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Z-197.)
Location. 37° 32.733′ N, 78° 6.701′ W. Marker is near Cumberland, Virginia, in Cumberland County. Marker is on Anderson Highway (U.S. 60) 0.6 miles west of Mosby road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cumberland VA 23040, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Derwent (approx. 4 miles away); Mosby’s Tavern / Cumberland Old Courthouse (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named Derwent (approx. 4˝ miles away); a different Derwent (approx. 4˝ miles away); a different marker also named Cumberland County / Powhatan County (approx. 4.7 miles away); Muddy Creek School (approx. 5.4 miles away); Dunlora Academy (approx. 5.7 miles away); Hamilton High School (approx. 7.8 miles away).
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 600 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 26, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.