Johnstown in Cambria County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
On May 31, 1889, this post-Civil War, cast iron statue was swept away by the flood wave and carried to a pile of wreckage downstream. After being found amidst the debris, it was returned to the front yard of the James Morley mansion which survived the flood on lower Main Street (now the site of Lee Hospital). There it remained until 1903, when it was moved to their son's lawn. In 1944, the statue was donated to the city by Morley heirs.
Location. 40° 19.567′ N, 78° 55.205′ W. Marker is in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, in Cambria County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Market Street (Pennsylvania Route 271), on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Johnstown PA 15901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1936 Greater Johnstown Flood Victims (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Grand Army of the Republic Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Central Park (about 500 feet Joseph Johns (about 500 feet away); Johnstown Veterans and War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Greater Johnstown Flood Victims (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnstown.
Also see . . . Morley's Dog. (Submitted on August 21, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Animals • Man-Made Features • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,629 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on March 22, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.