Saint Michael in Cambria County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
From 1881-1889 the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club, an assocation of Pittsburgh steel and coal magnates, owned the dam and lake. On the opposite shore they built a 47-room clubhouse and 16 elegant cottages. Club members took to the water in rowboats and sailing canoes, as well as two fine steam yachts. Stocked bass and trout provided great sport.
However, by 1889, neglect and unsound alterations by the Club had dangerously weakened the dam.
“The fine body of water and the romantic surroundings of the place, it is thought, would make the resort the most popular on the mountain.” Johnstown Daily Tribune, August 10, 1885
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 40° 20.956′ N, 78° 46.28′ W. Marker is in Saint Michael, Pennsylvania Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Johnstown Flood National Memorial, adjacent to the Unger House, about 100 feet south of the visitor center, off Lake Road. Marker is in this post office area: South Fork PA 15956, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Dam Melts Away (here, next to this marker); The Unger House (a few steps from this marker); May 31, 1889 (within shouting distance of this marker); The South Fork Dam (approx. 0.2 miles away); Johnstown Flood (approx. 0.7 miles away); American Legion Post 551 Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Saint Michael World War II Honor Roll (approx. 1.2 miles away); Sgt Michael Strank (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint Michael.
Also see . . .
1. The South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club. (Submitted on August 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Efforts to Preserve the Club House. (Submitted on August 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 3,079 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.