Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
In 1773 McAfee Company and Hancock Taylor came here and surveyed area, an early pioneer stopping place. By 1775 Leestown settled and named by Hancock and Willis Lee; established by Va. Assembly, 1776. Temporarily abandoned in 1777 because of Indian attack, it was reestablished and became well-known shipping port for tobacco, hemp, corn and whiskey to New Orleans market. Over
Leestown: Va. General Assembly had tobacco inspection warehouse erected in Leestown, 1783. A hemp factory was here for many years. At one time Leestown was a commercial center and contender for the state capital. During the War of 1812 it served as supply base against Indians. In 1827 the stones for the Old State House were quarried from river bank near here.
Erected by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 103.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 12.825′ N, 84° 52.076′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 421 and Fair Oaks Lane (a.k.a. : Great Buffalo Trace), on the right when traveling south on U.S. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frankfort KY 40601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Great Buffalo Trace (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Buffalo Trace (approx. 0.2 miles away); Buffalo Trace Distillery - - Warehouse C (approx. ¼ mile away); Buffalo Trace Distillery (approx. ¼ mile away); Franklin County Hemp / Hemp in Kentucky (approx. ¼ mile away); Glen Willis (approx. 0.3 miles away); Locks and Dams (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dry Stone Masonry in Kentucky (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,026 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 4, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of Side B of marker • Can you help?