Plymouth Meeting in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Plymouth Friends Meetinghouse
In continuous use as a house of worship since about 1708, it served as a hospital and campsite for Washington's forces on way to Valley Forge. Eastern wing, added in 1780, replaced original log school. Site was a center of activity during Abolition Movement.
Erected 1955 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 6.159′ N, 75° 16.734′ W. Marker is in Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Germantown Pike (Old U.S. 422) and Butler Pike, on the left when traveling west on Germantown Pike. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2150 Butler Pike, Plymouth Meeting PA 19462, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Abolition Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of North Star Public School and Plymouth Township High School (approx. 1.4 miles away); St. Peter's Church (approx. 2 miles away); Lafayette (approx. 2.3 miles away); Mogeetown (approx. 2.4 miles away); Edward Hector (approx. 2½ miles away); Helping Hands (approx. 3.2 miles away); Is That an Eagle? (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth Meeting.
Also see . . . Plymouth Friends Meetinghouse - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 20, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Charity & Public Work • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 831 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.