Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Custer Home

 
 
The Custer Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By James D. Harvey, September 18, 2009
1. The Custer Home Marker
Inscription. This 116 acre "French ribbon farm", purchased by General George Armstrong Custer, his brother, Nevin, and their wives August 22, 1871, ran northerly from the River Raisin. Nevin Custer farmed it until his death. The present Custer Airport, created from part of the farm, is named for it.

General Custer's famous war-horse, Dandy, who accompanied him to the Little Big Horn, lies buried in the old orchard site back of the residence.

Buffalo Bill Cody and Little Annie Oakley would always ride out to the farm to visit Dandy and the General's father, Emmanuel, each time the Wild West Show was near Monroe.
 
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
 
Location. 41° 55.772′ N, 83° 26.612′ W. Marker is near Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is on Custer Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Monroe MI 48162, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Navarre - Anderson Trading Post (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named The Navarre - Anderson Trading Post (approx. one mile away); First Indian Trading Post (approx. 2.3 miles away); Old Michigan Southern (approx. 2.4 miles away); Monroe's Soldiers (approx. 2 miles away); Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (approx. 2 miles away); Michigan's Tribute to Kentucky (approx. 2 miles away); Editor Ellis, 1825 (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
 
Categories. AgricultureAnimalsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2009, by James D. Harvey of Seville,, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,355 times since then and 47 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on September 25, 2009, by James D. Harvey of Seville,, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement