Spencerville in Allen County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Miami – Erie Canal
From 1845 to about 1906 barges pulled by horses provided transportation from the Ohio River to Lake Erie through a system of locks which raised or lowered boats to the next level of the canal.
Locks often became sites of towns, beginning with a tender’s house, followed by a stable, tavern and mill.
The canal was hand-dug to a minimum width of 26’ at the bottom and 40’ at the waterline.
The first boat to Toledo left Cincinnati June 27, 1845, with the trip taking 4 days and 5 nights at a cost of 3 cents per passenger mile.
After railroads caused canal importance to decline, the locks were abandoned.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Miami & Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 40° 42.347′ N, 84° 21.355′ W. Marker is in Spencerville, Ohio, in Allen County. Marker is at the intersection of South Canal Street and West 1st Street, on the left when traveling south on South Canal Street. This historical marker is located along the west Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Spencerville OH 45887, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Amanda (was approx. ¼ mile away but has been reported missing. ); Spencerville Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Miami & Erie Canal Deep Cut / Miami & Erie Canal (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Town of Hartford (approx. 3 miles away); "Johnny Appleseed" (approx. 3 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Amanda (approx. 4.9 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Amanda (approx. 4.9 miles away); Site of the 86 Acre Homestead of Dye Sunderland (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spencerville.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Miami – Erie Canal.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,427 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.