Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Howell's Mills

 
 
Howell's Mills Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 11, 2009
1. Howell's Mills Marker
Inscription. A notable ante-bellum land-mark established 1852, by Judge Clark Howell (1811-1882). Two buildings -- grist and sash-sawmills -- which stood on the N. bank, and in the bend of, Peachtree Cr. 1000 ft. west of the present bridge.

The old road crossed the creek on a wooden bridge to the west of the present highway and bridge. Surviving the war, the mills burned in 1879. They were the center of a rural community with a P.O. (1876-1891). Another enterprise was Foster’s Woolen Mill, established circa 1880 -- which stood on the S. bank of the creek, to the W. of this marker.
 
Erected 1989 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 060-51.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 49.417′ N, 84° 24.956′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Howell Mill Road 0.1 miles south of Peachtree Battle Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is just to the south of the bridge over Peachtree Creek. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30309, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reynold’s Brigade (here, next to this marker);
Howell's Mills Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 11, 2009
2. Howell's Mills Marker
Looking north at the marker and the bridge over Peachtree Creek
Federal Crossings (here, next to this marker); Geary’s Div. to Peachtree Creek (approx. 0.3 miles away); Geary’s Three Bridges (approx. half a mile away); Rt. Of 20th A.C. Line (approx. 0.6 miles away); Green Bone Creek (approx. 0.7 miles away but has been reported missing); Williams' Div. Deployed (approx. 0.9 miles away); O’Neal’s Brigade at the Ravine (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text on this location erected by the Georgia Historical Commission.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 751 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement