Plymouth Meeting in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The antislavery meeting hall here, opened in 1856, brought many leading abolitionist speakers as guests of George Corson and his wife, Martha Maulsby Corson. Built over a carriage shed, the hall could accommodate up to 200 visitors. The family's 1767 homestead here had already long been a station on the Underground Railroad. Later, 1881-1895, Abolition Hall was the studio of son-in-law Thomas Hovenden, who painted “Last Moments of John Brown.”
Erected 2000 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 6.188′ N, 75° 16.689′ W. Marker is in Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Butler Pike 0 miles north of Germantown Pike, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4006 Butler Pike, Plymouth Meeting PA 19462, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Plymouth Friends Meetinghouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of North Star Public School and Plymouth Township High School (approx. 1.4 miles away); St. Peter's Church (approx. 2 miles away); Lafayette Mogeetown (approx. 2½ miles away); Edward Hector (approx. 2½ miles away); Helping Hands (approx. 3.2 miles away); Is That an Eagle? (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth Meeting.
Also see . . .
1. The Corsons and Abolition Hall. (Submitted on October 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Abolition Hall. (Submitted on October 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Abolition Hall - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 20, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Colonial Era • Heroes • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,113 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.